Monday, August 24, 2009

Yellowstone, WYOMING!



When I was a little girl I used to ride my purple bike with the white banana seat down Larchwood Street. It was a beautiful crisp fall day and there were brown leaves all over the street. I remember telling myself not to drive over the leaves because I didn't want them to get hurt so I did my best to drive around them. At that time I really believed that everything had feelings and it was my job to make sure nothing got hurt. My stuffed animals were not to be thrown off the bed at night and were always strategically placed, with love. I had plants whose leaves I washed with a wet towel and little animal figurines dispersed between that had little stories of their own. This vivid memory came to me the day after my trip to Yellowstone. Why? Well, I think it was my encounter with the Bison. As I was driving through the park and thinking that maybe today wasn't going to be my day to see wildlife, I noticed slowing traffic. Lo and behold, a large herd of Bison were crossing the road. They were huge and so close that I was scared but the only thing that ran through my mind was how this road was built in the middle of their world. I'm sure the Bison are used to it by now, but I wasn't. We sat and watched them lumber across making that loud noise they make. Not quite a growl and not a moo; sort of a loud grunt. A few miles later a lone Bison was walking in the street right next to my car. I could practically touch it!We all stopped again while he meandered along moving toward whatever his destination. No one rushing him, believe me! In the flash of the camera I had another flash. I had just eaten a Bison burger 2 days before!! I couldn't shake the awful feeling that went through me. I have no idea what to make of it all except to say that I have recovered my reverence for all things; whether human,animal,plant or formation of another kind. Those feelings I carried as a little girl have come flooding back to life in full force.

And Yellowstone? It was a nature lover's amusement park!!!
It was all so spectacular. I couldn't believe what I got to see! I got up very early in the morning and drove the hour and half from Montana to get there. It was very early and unseasonably cold on this day. The temperature never got above 50 and it felt like fall.I had worn shorts so it was a good thing all my wintry stuff was in the trunk.I grabbed my fleece.Can you imagine, in August?

I was told by a few locals in Bozeman to take a different route than the popular West entrance of the park. The west entrance brings you to Old Faithful,first, which I did want to see, but there was so much more I didn't want to miss. The North entrance is less populated and where (I was told) there was more of a chance of spotting wildlife. First stop was the Mammoth Hot Springs. I felt like I was on another planet! That hot water bubbling up from the earth creating rock formations were like nothing I'd ever seen.The geysers were everywhere. I walked the platforms between the eruptions spending time seeing all I could see. They were very clear that we were not to walk anywhere but the planks because of the vulnerability of the terrain.

Next was the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone! It had a beautiful waterfall and the rock formations and color combinations were spectacular. I had to throw in this picture of a tree (the pointed trunk with no stems or leaves). It looks hand carved, sharpened and glazed. It had a twisted trunk and was another beautiful display of nature's power.



So if that wasn't enough there was the beautiful Yellowstone lake! This lake has the highest elevation of all lakes in North America! I stopped here and had a picnic. It was beautiful and I saw a bald eagle there,too.


Last but certainly not least was Good "Ole" Faithful. Now, this is ignorance on my part but I didn't know that Old Faithful was called Old Faithful because she goes off like clockwork every (just about) hour. There is a big clock counting down and people wait for her to erupt. None of the other geysers are predicable but she is. So not knowing this, I followed the signs and got to the exact spot which is surrounded by a gorgeous lodge. There are viewing areas everywhere and people were lined up on wooden platforms just talking and waiting. I had no idea what was going on so I went over sat down, front row, and wondered what was going to happen. What I didn't know was that these people had been waiting for an hour and she was about to erupt. Timing is everything! My friend called me Forest Gump on this trip because I am lucky enough to stumble onto these amazing moments of serendipity! I got to see her erupt soon after I arrived. It was amazing!
Throughout the day I experienced changes in elevation from 5000 to 8500 within minutes, plateaus,falls,geysers,canyons and wildlife. The weather? wind, rain, hale and sun. It covered the natural gamut and I wouldn't have had it any other way. It captured nature at it's best and I loved this roller coaster ride! The drive home was slow and fulfilling while I tried to process all of what I had seen!
I have been in Montana for a week and thought Yellowstone deserved it's own post. In a couple of days I'll be telling you about BEAUTIFUL Montana!

No comments:

Post a Comment