Monday, August 3, 2009

The Drive to Oregon!

Well, here I am in Medford Oregon, close to Ashland which is what I came to see. I have landed here at a time when they are breaking records for heat. It was 113 degrees today and this is the middle of fire season so there was a fire about 30 miles north of me... But before I tell you about all that, let me start by telling you about the drive from California! I feel like it deserves its own post.

It was spectacular and after talking with a couple people, the only word that makes any sense is Majestic! Some places are so beyond words that it feels silly trying to label them. I kept thinking "This is where God lives". Now, let's face it, God is everywhere but sometimes it's more obvious than others and this is one of those times. Describing this area is like trying to describe God. I have become comfortable with the idea that it's impossible to describe or understand the mysteries of God so in this case let's just say it's an experience not a view. My experience? I felt a surge of total love almost a feeling of euphoria, like I was really small; a good small like I was part of a vast universe; the kind of small where I felt completely protected and hugged in a way that I knew everything was/is okay and exactly as it should be,in a way of total unconditional love!

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” .I got this quote from my friend Jim and I am delighted to say that is one of my most important lessons. The old saying that it's about the journey is the truth. I've never been much of a goal person, anyway. I always enjoy the process of things more than the end result. This trip proves that to me. I'm so in it I forget that I'm on a cross country journey sometimes. I am often so satisfied by the drive somewhere that I get to my destination and think, "Okay, now why was I coming here?"

As with most drives,the decision to take the scenic route meant lots more time. If I had taken the highway it would have been 6 hours but this was 12. I drove the coast and went through Avenue of the Giants in Northern California... The Giants are Redwoods... and man,driving through those parks with the river then ocean within view was magical. It made the trees in Muir Woods look puny! These are what I think they call,first growth, virgin trees. They are tremendous!! I can smell them as I write this. I saw a sign for a place where you could drive through a tree; I pulled off. I happened to be talking to my friend Ally so she came through the tree with me. It's fun to take some of this journey with people!
I used to think of Northern California as San Francisco and it is but there are about 8 hours of coastal driving past San Francisco and WOWOWOWOW! you really need to see it.
Driving along I gave myself permission to just stop when I thought I saw something interesting and as I was going along listening to Spiritual music (fitting soundtrack), I saw a group of cars stopped taking pictures so I pulled over and there were a herd of Elk off in the distance.
They were so peaceful and beautiful. I saw many more Elk along the way.
Getting through the Avenue of the Giants and being completely awestruck, I ended up winding my way up a mountain filled with more Redwoods and through the forest I was able to peak at open ocean. Exactly what I pictured the Oregon Coast to look like, but suffice it to say, I was still in California!

Finally I started through the windy mountain areas of Oregon. It was around 9pm and really hot I couldn't figure it out but found out the next day, yes, you know. Heat wave! More to come on Oregon...

No comments:

Post a Comment