Friday, July 31, 2009

Ride through Big Sur,Santa Cruz and San Francisco

Wooooo!!! I can't believe it... Just a few months ago I was terrified by the ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway and since then have traveled some interesting roads not the least of which was the drive to Taos, NM in the fog at 9pm. If I can do that? Well, you know the rest... So as I left Ventura, I had to decide if I should go up Highway 1 to Santa Cruz to stay with a friend's brother and sister-in-law. Lots of people said do it and some others said, "don't, it's long,windy and scary". I decided since one of the things I've always wanted to see was Big Sur that I'd just give myself plenty of time and take Hwy 1.
I am sooo glad I did. It was spectacular! I did notice halfway through, "Hmm, this is steep and windy and there was no cell reception for hours and I couldn't have been happier watching the waves (far below)crashing against the cliffs. The sun shining and fog banks off to the distance, starting to roll in.It was gorgeous and everything I imagined! I can't believe how different I feel on these drives... Each one with it's own adventure and I notice how much I've eased into them. I've had so much practice leaving and getting comfortable with the unknown. It's been pretty great!
On the way I saw the sign for the HEARST castle so I pulled off. I didn't want to take the tour but I got to see it and look up at the fact that, yes, it is indeed a castle at the top of a mountain/cliff.


I arrived in Santa Cruz on a Friday night. I stayed with Denise and Tim who I met for the first time when I arrived at their house. They had to go away the first weekend and it worked out that I could take care of their house/dog/cat and bird while they were away. The timing was perfect. It gave me a chance give back to them for being so gracious considering I didn't even know them and they were allowing me to stay with them. Let's just say we bonded. By the end of the, over a week, we were joking about me being their roommate. They had referred to me as, "Roomie" which I loved.
The first day there, Denise and I went to the "Cliffs" for a little run. She explained that Santa Cruz is the most famous surf area in California. This is a really popular place for surfers and little surf museum at a lighthouse nearby.

We were about an hour and a half from San Francisco. I'd been to San Francisco but there were a few things I wanted to see. For instance, the Golden Gate bridge, which I had seen before but at the time was covered with fog. I was happy to discover that the visit to my customer meant driving over the bridge. There were two places I wanted to go on this little journey so I made a plan to spend the day investigating the area. I wanted to see Muir Woods, a Redwood forest and spend some time in Sausilito which I had heard so much about. After visitng my customer I drove right to Sausilito. It was a quaint community on the water with a tremendous view. The landscape included a view of Alcatraz,the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay area beyond that. It was great to sit by the water with my lunch and enjoy that along with my favorite activity of people watching.


Muir Woods is like an Oasis among trees. I really enjoyed hiking through the park for a couple of hours.

I was awed by the beauty of those massive creations. Boy, the stories those trees could tell. They've been around for so long and have seen so much. I decided to lie down on a log and rest under the wisdom.
When I was getting ready to leave, it was about 6pm and I didn't want to get caught in traffic so I went to Muir Beach. It was a small peaceful beach near the forest. I journaled there and watched families and friends arriving at sunset with their kindling wood and coolers for a cookout on the beach.
Later I drove back to Santa Cruz to spend time with my new friends/roomies. I enjoyed their company so much. We had alot of laughs. It was nice to have dinner as a family and just hang out getting to know each other.
The next day I went to the beach. I didn't bring my camera because, well, how many pictures of a beach can you take? Well, this particular day I got there and there was a big sign "Unsafe waves, stay out of the water". I couldn't believe the waves. I felt like the beach ended and where the water began there was a film displaying tidal waves. It was surreal. The waves were at least 15 feet high. I've never seen anything like it. I stayed and watched for hours.

Tim and Denise offered to drive me to Carmel by the Sea on a Saturday. We took the adventure together and I was excited because I've wanted to see it since the 80's when Chevy Chase was in "Seems like Old Times". He lived in Carmel and it was beautiful. We took Molly, their dog and here's a picture of Molly enjoying the ride.
Carmel was beyond beautiful and quaint. The strip of cottages (Inns) shops, art galleries and restaurants was something else. It was like the beach version of Rodeo Dr. At the bottom of the street was open ocean and after walking through this pristine community I loved feeling the contrast of opening out to the wild untame sea. It was overcast that day which made it even more pronounced. I really enjoyed the day.We even stopped and smelled the flowers!

The next day Denise was running a 10K. It was called the "Wharf to Wharf". It was for charity and a very popular event in Santa Cruz. Over 40 bands lined the street to cheer on the runners and thousands participated. They had an extra number because Tim had gotten injured and couldn't run so they asked me if I wanted it. I said I'd do it and walk,just for the fun of being in the crowd. Much to my surprise, I was able to run just about all of it. It was such a lesson for me in not limiting myself. I don't think I would have ever imagined running a 10K race and it was a symbol for any limitations I may put on myself without even trying. Always something new to discover whether it's internal or external. Have I mentioned lately how blessed I feel?

Last but not least, on my way out of Santa Cruz, I went back to San Francisco. My friend Bic's granddaughter owns an auto repair/maintenance garage there called "Lucious Garage". He had told us about her business and is so proud of her. I was excited to meet her and was thrilled to visit a garage owned and operated by a woman and she specializes in Hybrid engines. The garage was beautiful, if there is such a thing.


She was great and we talked for a few minutes and I told her I'd keep in touch hoping we will get together whenever she comes to Massachusetts.
So it was a great week. I loved getting to know Tim and Denise and am really looking forward to continuing to get to know them and staying in touch.
I can't believe this is it. I'm leaving California and taking the scenic route to Oregon. It has been a great 5 weeks in California. I am finally ready to move on and see what is left to see in this vast and magical country.

More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment