Tuesday, June 16, 2009

More New Mexico...lots of stuff here!

Well, what can I say, guys. I had a hard time leaving Taos and what started as a 5 day trip turned into 3 and 1/2 weeks! As in life, sometimes it's in the stopping that we really move forward...
It was so nice to spend time with Eileen. Her husband, Steve, was away on sabbatical so we were roommates and had lots of time to have meals together, go for walks, hikes,some site seeing and tons of time to talk. It amazes me that no matter how much time we have to talk there is always more to say!

Our first adventure was Ojo Caliente, a spa with mineral spring pools. They are healing pools. Their waters are legendary. Did you know SPA stands for "Salud Per Agua", which means "health through water"? I didn't. All the water comes through the mountains and there was even a mud pool (which was great..I love to get dirty). All had their own mineral associated with them and each had different healing properties. It was GREAT! We ended the afternoon with a "Milagro Wrap". It is a dry wrap where you take off all clothes, get wrapped in a light cotton blanket, then a heavier wool blanket. It accelerates the release of toxins from the body. It was like being enclosed in a cocoon. There was soft music in the background as we lay quietly being comforted/hugged. Need I say more? It was a great way to "wrap" up the day after spending time in the healing waters while staring at the beautiful scenery.

We also did some hiking; a mountain hike which we did a few times and was beautiful. And a hike along the Rio Grande River, also beautiful, very different than a mountain hike, but equal amounts of joy. There were such incredible views of the Rio Grande and as we continued the walk we stumbled upon a labyrinth. Right there in the middle of the desert someone created a labyrinth. A nice little surprise so we quietly walked it.



Our first Sunday, we went to church and out to lunch with some friends. One of them asked what I did for work. Eileen jumped in and told her I was a Reflexologist and she hired me to work on her feet the next day. It was great! I have been giving treatments to people who've hosted me, but this was an extra treat for me. I tell you, it is always a spiritual experience for me and this time was no different. I was also told by my Reflexology teacher to look up a woman, a master Reflexologist in Taos, Whitehawk. I called her and we soon had a date to exchange treatments! WOW!! She was amazing and taught me a couple of things. I also received some additional training, using magnets as part of the treatment. After my session with her I could hardly remember the drive home! The magnet treatment enhances the response to the Reflexology (I'll say) so I can't wait to try on any who are interested.


We also went to a poetry reading; two authors, Ellen Bass (who wrote the Courage to Heal) and Marie Howe. I thought, given the topic of their other books, the readings would be kind of dark or related to healing around abuse, but NO WAY! They were funny, philosophical, light and just had a wonderful way of viewing life on life's terms. I loved it! Why don't I go to more book/poetry readings?!...


One of the nights, a friend of Eileen's (a couple who sang at her wedding and have a nationally syndicated radio show) were playing at the square so we went to listen to music. It was a balmy summer night and the music was perfect for the landscape. Loved it.
On yet another evening we had a small dinner party with some friends I've met over the last 4 times I've been in Taos. We had dinner and then played Quiddler, one of my favorite games. I actually learned how to play the first time I was in Taos. I lost. I am not sure I've ever won but I never care. It is so fun and we always have lots of laughs.
In between the adventures I had the luxury of going to alot of meetings and made some new friends.


On my last Sunday we went to an early meeting then were supposed to go to church. We met Inky, another friend for coffee and instead,Eileen went to church to play (piano and sing) and I went to my other church,nature. Inky and I took a long walk in the woods. It was beautiful. I had told her of all the turtles on my path and we talked alot of Native Americans and their animal medicine. She had studied this for a while.

Later I met Eileen at a restaurant for lunch and we decided to go to a few stores because I wanted to buy a drum. They make them at the Pueblo and they are beautiful, authentic Native American drums.Eileen and I meandered through a couple of stores playing the different drums. I saw one I LOVED. It made my heart sing, the tone was just gorgeous. I wanted to comparison shop so we went to another store and that is where we met, Crowfeather,an Apache Indian. We joked around and got into conversation where I told him about the turtles and how present they have been on my journey. As we got talking about the meaning of turtle he felt I was being called to participate in a "Sweat lodge". He invited us and there happened to be one that evening.

What the heck is a Sweat Lodge? You might ask. I had no clue. It is a sacred ceremony the Natives conduct for prayer...more about Sweat Lodges. He explained they don't normally invite strangers but he felt strongly, after a few serendipitous moments, that we should go. The Sweat lodge is designed to resemble the turtle, "Mother Earth"...and I found out from the leader at the lodge that often people who carry turtle medicine are creators of and/or hold sacred space for other's to worship or heal. Eileen said she'd go and support me if I wanted to go and we went. All I can say is WOWOWOWOW!! I loved I really believe the turtles on my journey led me to this experience .

I can't say enough about how much participating in the ceremony meant to me and continues to mean to me, spiritually. I was giddy then emotional as we all prayed out loud. There were four rounds of prayer. They were very clear that we pray to whomever our God is. I could feel the Presence. When we were done, about 2 hours, we all got out and the sunset was amazing. We were at the base of a mountain in Questa (25 minutes outside Taos). The drive home was a vision. On one side was the dimming orange sky and the other, a full moon rising. The ride was peaceful as we talked a little then listened to music and we all smelled like cedar and sage. It was an amazing experience and helped ready me for the next leg of this journey. My time in Taos felt complete. By the way, I went back and bought the drum.I continue to use it during my meditation time.

Like I said, it was VERY difficult to leave Taos. I really enjoyed nesting there and the people are just wonderful.

The last 2 days were spent at the home of a wonderful couple I've become friends with over the years, Ken and Janet. They are so loving and generous and it was great spending time with each of them. (Steve had come home from his sabbatical)...


I will miss my new friends and felt spoiled by the time I spent with Eileen. It was hard to leave it all... but the journey continues, more adventure, more God and more of this beautiful country and mostly?more lessons along the way...

So I am now in Sedona...What a drive..I'll be writing about that soon!!

No comments: