Monday, June 29, 2009

Sin City, Nevada

Well, I took another spectacular drive through the desert; beautiful with lots of mountains. It was about a 5 hour drive to Las Vegas. I wasn't expecting this but as I got closer, I realized I'd be going right by the Hoover Dam. WOW!!!! I couldn't believe it! It was, yes I'll say it again, AMAZING! It was around sunset so the sky was a backdrop of orange/yellow and purple making mountains glow.
As you can imagine, it's hard to get a picture when I'm driving so this one does not do the experience justice, but gives you some idea. As I've said before, I struggle with the pictures because I want to capture the feeling I have so you can have it,too! I know it doesn't work that way so I'll try to explain. Ya know when you are a little kid and you're so excited about something that your knees itch? (Bo, you know what I mean,remember?)That is what I feel like most of the time!
So... I'm going past the Hoover Dam feeling astounded by it all,crying and , of course, called my mom who was sleeping (3 hour time difference). I couldn't help myself. I couldn't believe how gorgeous it was and massive! As I continued the sunset drive, I saw Lake Meade which also looked so pretty against the bright sky.
My aunt and uncle live in Green Valley, right outside Las Vegas and it was green. In the desert surrounded by mountains, this little area was covered with trees and greenery. It was really beautiful.
I was delirious with the night sky and just happy to be seeing them. I got there pretty late in the evening on a Thursday night.
We worked on Friday; hung out and had great long talks. Saturday my Aunt Faith and I went out to lunch at a resort nearby. We even played some electronic poker. There are slot machines everywhere, even the grocery store. We treated ourselves to pedicures and manicures after that. A great day!
Saturday night, when my Uncle Steven got home from work, we all went to the strip to see the action in Las Vegas and there was lots to see! We walked all over the strip (well some of it, there was so much in the little area we walked).At the Bellagio there were beautiful fountains that go off around every 1/2 hour and they are choreographed to music. Each time different music is played. When we stopped it was dancing to the theme from Chicago. I love the Show tunes!
Here's a picture of us in front of the fountains. Does it look blurry? Well, I figured why not add it! Everything is blurry in Vegas!
We walked through a couple of the hotels. I couldn't believe the displays in the lobbies of these places! It was magnificent. We walked through Paris and then into Cesar's Palace (I think it was) where they had their Spring/Summer display. There were live love birds in cages and a whole summer- garden theme. There were flowers hanging from the ceiling made from blown glass. and sculptures and fountains everywhere. The sculptures were made out of live flowers. Since I love frogs, I grabbed a photo of this one to give you the idea!

As we wandered around we got to see the things that make Vegas, Vegas. The pole dancers in every bar, the guys on the corners passing out cards to see "GIRLS,GIRLS, GIRLS" (adult entertainment) clicking them as people passed,making noise like cards in the spokes of a bike. We got to see the famous, get married quick in Vegas, wedding chapels and some of them are even drive through -good luck!
And what's a visit to Vegas without having a "little" Elvis sighting! And I mean little!

They were such great tour guides!! There was so much more like the erupting volcano in front of one of the hotels,stimulus overload!
Sunday was a day of relaxation and hanging out together. We had more great talks and I went to the pool for a while. We also had a yummy dinner together and Monday morning, after laundry, I was off!
I really loved connecting with family and we had such a great bonding time! And it was great to see where they are and the beautiful location they live in.

So it's off to San Diego and I'm really excited about hitting the "other" coast! More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment