Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Los Angeles-Where's George Clooney?

"Faith is daring the Soul to go beyond where the eye can see"This was one of the first signs I saw in L.A. and I wanted to share.





I reluctantly left San Diego. I really like it there and love being so close to the ocean. I took the journey up Highway 1 to Redondo Beach, 20 minutes outside L.A.-well theoretically 20 minutes.
The drive to Redondo Beach was gorgeous. I drove through all the beach towns including Leguna Beach (OH MY GOSH) and Newport Beach. WOW! The highway is right next to the ocean side and it was really fun to get that real California feel with the street-lined palm trees,surfers everywhere and laid back friendly people on the street.
So here starts my illusive search for George Clooney!

I have to start by saying it was a roller coaster ride, emotionally, in Los Angeles. It was a rough beginning and as people told me, "pay attention to how you feel, sometimes it just doesn't feel right and that's okay". That isn't to say there is anything wrong with L.A. It just reminded me that I am not into the busy-ness of a city and the chaos that comes with it. Good to remember. I did meet alot of great people though and had some great experiences. It is a VERY diverse area and I loved that! That is what I miss about living near the city. But like I said, kind of up and down. I had some moments of homesickness too.

I got to the Redondo Beach hotel pretty late Sunday. It was nice enough and the people were great. I've been lucky. Only one semi-uncomfortable experience in San Diego, and that is on a long line of hotel stays! So I'm not complaining.


I was happy to see how close I was to the beach. One block from the pier. The next morning I went for a long walk on the beach, there's a walkway for walkers and bikers;a strip. There is a large pier where fisherman throw their lines day in and day out-looking for the excitement of a catch. The pelicans sit perched, waiting to grab a piece of the action.

I drove through Manhattan Beach/Venice Beach and Marina Del Mar. Santa Monica Beach was last on the ride and it was gorgeous. I stopped around sunset and went for a walk. It was hard to get access to Venice Beach (so crowded) so I never did get there.


The next day I had a plan to go to a Farmer's Market in L.A. Like I said, it was supposed to be 20 minutes away. The drive in took about an hour and a half-Traffic! UGH, it felt so frustrating. By the time I got there, there were no parking spaces and I was supposed to be at a meeting at 12 and I got to the location and parked by about 12:50. I thought,well, I'll go to the meeting anyway. I went to the room and there was no longer a meeting there.. Hmm..I was already frustrated by the traffic so this topped the cake. Thank goodness I was talking to Eileen. She graciously stayed on the phone with me, we had some laughs and I sat at an outdoor cafe having lunch while we talked. I decided to make the most of the trip and walked around. This was no Farmer's market I've ever seen. There was a Farmer's market, which was gorgeous and more of an open air market. Right beyond it was an area that reminded me of Fanueil Hall or Newbury Street in Boston. Really upscale restaurants and shops. I walked around alot and made it a great afternoon. But, alas, no George to be found.


Next was my grand adventure to the hair salon. A day of beauty and spending time on Rodeo Drive. I had promised myself I'd go to Beverly Hills and get my hair highlighted (once in a lifetime) and walk around where all the beautiful people shop. So, I found a salon (recommended by a friend of a friend) and it was right there in the middle of all the action. As I pulled into the area I thought "Hmm, I think I should have washed my car before coming here". I have never seen as many BMW's or Mercedes and there was a Maserati in front of me as I parked. So I meet, Liz, the hairdresser. I LOVED HER. I was there for 3 hours getting my hair done and shooting the breeze. I got my hair highlighted which you can't tell from the picture, but it looked really great and just got a trim since she and I thought something new or short would be hard to maintain on the road. Needless to say, I didn't want to leave Liz and we promised to keep in touch!

So I walked down Rodeo drive and it was a spectacle to behold... AMAZING so much wealth and no one really looked happy, they looked stressed.....I was laughing out loud as I walked down the street like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman before her makeover, with my Khaki shorts and my white v-neck t-shirt from Walmart... and of course my very expensive highlight! I then decided to get my eyebrows waxed at this Organics shoppe. There I met Sylvania from Armenia. We had a great talk and she told me she and her friend wanted to travel cross country and were afraid. So I told her my experience and that I couldn't say how people would respond to her (she was concerned about racism). We would certainly have different experiences. I'm definitely not naive, there is certainly prejudice out there and yes,there were areas where people seemed intolerant of others, but I wouldn't want to generalize about an entire region based on the one or two conversations I had. There are intolerant people and wonderful people everywhere. (I'm laughing as I write this because that whole day I was making my own judgements about what I saw on Rodeo Dr and wasn't I making the same generalizations about something I knew nothing about and individuals I knew nothing about? Based on my own insecurity) I also told her that I've seen how much human kindness there is. After a long chat, she hugged me good-bye and hoped I'd stay so I could see her again and I thought, "if I stayed would I be getting my eyebrows waxed on Rodeo drive every 4 weeks, ugh, no, I don't think so". Needless to say, another sweet connection to savor on the way home.
I had lots of feelings that day; the contrast between the lovely people I met, regular people who worked on Rodeo Drive and the people I saw shopping, unhappy but beautifully clad. I got thrown off by the idea of image and keeping up. I couldn't get out of my own way about it.


That's when I met Camille. The next day, I went to get some body work done. It came highly recommended and this woman, who is renowned in her field, offers private sessions where, using body movement, helps a person work through "stuck" areas in their life that keep them from going forward with things they want to achieve. I loved Camille. We talked alot at first, then she helped provide a safe space for me to move and to feel what was going on inside. We then talked about ways and sacred gestures that I could use for my meditation practice. She helped me create my personal sacred space, not one I read about or a tape to follow, my personal, tailored to me, meditation practice. It was wonderful!

One of the things she also helped me with was the idea of L.A. being the land of image. She said, "Yes, it is considered the land of image, but it is also the land of permission. People can do and be whatever they want here and it's all okay". I loved that perspective. People have an opportunity to create and make whatever life they want here. There seems to be a community for everything! Who am I to say what makes someone happy or not or how the wealthy spend their money? How does it affect me? It's okay if they do whatever they do and it's okay if I do what I do. I'm sure plenty of people question the things that make me happy! It really helped me see L.A. in a different way. And reminded me of how important it is to live and let live. Why is it that that lesson is easier when referring to less fortunate than those who are more fortunate-either way it's a judgement.. And I guess in that case, who defines fortunate? If I keep in mind that we're all just as vulnerable as one another, it's easy to feel love toward everybody.
After the session she recommended I go to Santa Monica Beach and just relax. So I did. I hung out there for a couple of hours then headed back to the hotel.


The next day was 4th of July. I was right near the beach so it was great. When evening hit I just walked down to the pier along with the rest of the herd and mixed in with the crowd nicely. No one really knew I was alone so it felt safe to walk down there in the dark. I sat with many families and we had a great time watching the beautiful fireworks. I loved it!

I was getting ready to leave and there were two things I needed to do: 1.See that Hollywood sign on the hill and 2. go to the walk of stars. So I got up early the next morning ( my departure date) and drove into L.A.. Guess what? No traffic! I finally saw the sign. I was so excited. Then I got out at the famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre to look at the walk of stars and saw all the people (from all over the world) hovering over the Michael Jackson star. Poor Farrah Faucett's star only had a few tokens on it. But that wasn't why I was there, I was there for one reason, if I couldn't find him in person, I was going to find this and I did! That's right, George: My stay in L.A. was complete!


No comments:

Post a Comment