Tuesday, July 7, 2009

San Diego, CA

Yaay, I'm in California. It was a good drive but longer than I thought. It was a culture shock being immersed in all the traffic after being in the desert for over a month but I am happy to be in California and to see what's here.
I had my first negative hotel experience in San Diego. I've stayed in some shady hotels but the staff has always been lovely. This time, the hotel was okay but there was alot of miscommunication and apathy. I wasn't used to that. It is the one thing that makes a solo traveler, well, this one anyway, feel vulnerable. I consider the hotels, home and when it feels like I am not supported in anyway, I realize, yikes, that's right, I am alone.
Needless to say, it worked out okay.
My first full day there, I drove around because everything was nearby. I went to a beach (Ocean Beach and Mission Beach). I went around 3:30 one afternoon and it was GREAT! The waves were huge and I forget there is so much surfing going on. Everyone surfs!
I went in the water, freezing! but I stayed until I was numb enough to go all the way and I did! It was so fun! The water taste less salty for some reason,too! There I met Alex! He looked over at me and said,"You here only?", Alex was from Iraq, and I said, "yes" He said, "Me,too,first time in San Diego". I said, "Me, too" (it was so great that the "other" place we were from didn't matter because we were both foreign to this one). So he said"Welcome to San Diego" and I said, "You,too" and we hung around together for a while. It was great to have someone to enjoy the water with who was also experiencing it for the first time!After a time Alex and I parted ways and I hung out at the beach until around 6:30.

The next day I went to San Diego Zoo. Wow! It was huge. I took a trolley tour just to see where things were so I could figure out how to see the Pandas and the monkeys my 2 favorites! I stayed for a few hours. It was so big that I took the Sky tram to get places I wanted to see. Fun, fun, fun! I love zoos and have always wanted to see this one.I just loved this picture of the Koala with his back to us. "Excuse me, I'm not here for your pleasure; I'd like to be alone". I just got the biggest kick out of it.And those Koalas just seem so serene to me. And what about that Python. YIKES! Can you imagine seeing that out in the Bayou? Yah-no!

On another day I went to "Old Town" which is a historic area; an old Spanish town. It is known for its restaurants, shops and art. There is an open market where a band was playing beautiful Spanish music. I really enjoyed walking around and poking in the shops.
Next I went to Coronado Island. It was a beautiful day and since everyone told me I had to see it, I drove over. You could get there by car or ferry.I spent lots of time there. As I walked toward the beach, I saw a cute little bungalow for sale.So I say to myself,"I wonder how much this little thing cost". I pulled the fact sheet from the for sale sign, and, oops... 2.9 million. I guess I won't be moving to Coronado Island any time soon.

Someone mentioned La Jolla Beach!So I went! Can you say G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!; it's "legendary" for the waves and surfing (so I'm told). It was fun to watch all the surfers! But besides that, the entire area was spectacular. The center of town was filled with great little restaurants and shops. The homes were gorgeous and the beach was supreme. You could drive up a mountain and get a view of the entire landscape. I am so glad I took that drive!

As I drove back to my hotel that night, I remembered the sun sets over the ocean in the Pacific so I went to another beach and watched the sun set. It was really great. I loved watching all the people at the beach; bonfires and cookouts-being with the beauty. Yaay, what a night!



I also met with one of our clients in San Diego, Michael.It was a nice visit. I had worked with him over the years and never met him. It is always nice to put a face with a voice. We talked about travel and he gave me a tour of his library.


Okay, so what I really wanted was to meet Junior Seau. For those of you who don't know, he played for the San Diego Chargers and then Patriots; We love him!(You know who you are). He has a restaurant in San Diego, where he still lives. So, of course, with no shame at all, I took my camera and off to eat at the restaurant. I got there and it's this HUGE sports bar,restaurant. As with most, there are lots of TV screens and one in particular the size of a movie screen or bigger. I couldn't believe it! Everyone was watching some soccer game. It was fun to be there. SO I ordered my lunch and said to the hostess."I am traveling cross country and I'm from Massachusetts and me and my family LOVE Junior.I was wondering if you could take a picture of me outside his restaurant". "She, of course, obliged and told me it was too bad because he's usually there but not that day.. UGH.."I don't know what I would have done if I did meet him", I said and she said he was really approachable and a great guy! Oh Well, maybe another time. But here's the picture!



So I spent a week in San Diego and loved it. It is really beautiful and I was entirely grateful to see the ocean! I really missed it and it made me feel at home!


Needless to say I'm getting ready for my "Highway 1" drive to Redondo Beach and looking forward to more of California!

No comments:

Post a Comment