Thursday, July 23, 2009

Santa Barbara/Ventura, CA

I just have to share that as I write this, I'm looking out the window and see a bright red Dragon Fly. I've never seen a bright red one. I thought it was a bird at first. What a beauty!

So, I have always wanted to go to Santa Barbara... Who knows why?I didn't know. When I made reservations, I couldn't afford to stay within 20 miles of Santa Barbara so I got a reservation in Ventura. I had no idea what I would feel like being so far from the city I've always wanted to see. I got to my hotel and saw the amazing fact that I could look at the mountains and the sea at the same time. I was thrilled! It was too early to check in so I drove up to Santa Barbara for the afternoon. The mountains on one side, the ocean on the other..It was dizzying it was so beautiful. I didn't know where to look first!
So I get to Santa Barbara !!! OH MY GOSH!!! It is gorgeous! Even writing about it makes me want to cry! The first church I drove by had a sign: "Courage is the power to let go of the familiar". That expression embodies all of what this journey represents. I ended up going back to Santa Barbara 2 more times. Once to visit a client and once to see the beach.
I had such a great afternoon with our client. He showed me his library and we went out to lunch. After I left him, I walked around Santa Barbara. I can't really describe it. It's a beautiful beach community with, again, ocean/mountain view. The downtown area is very upscale and filled with great restaurants, shops and theater. The beach community is also beautiful! The beach is not directly connected to the center of town and has it's own feel. It is a beautiful beach lined with Palm trees and there were volleyball nets everywhere. Also filled with surf shops,restaurants, shops and galleries.


Ventura, itself, became a sanctuary for me. Pictures? I don't know what I was thinking. I didn't take very many because I just really spent time there going for long walks on the beach, watching sunsets and meditating by the water. Every night I'd walk down the boardwalk to a place called "Surfer's Point" . All the Kite surfers would be there at dusk, after work,I'm guessing, surfing. I got such peace watching them. They were suspended in air and it looked so freeing.



My hotel was just down the street from the largest wooden pier in California. I guess they are known for that so I thought I'd throw that in. A little trivia for those who care.

Someone told me about a place in Ojai, California (more mountains and about 20 miles from the water which made it at least 20 degrees warmer) called Meditation Mount. It is a beautiful retreat center on a mountain with a meditation garden that overlooks the entire mountain range. I drove through lots of orange groves to get there and finally found it. I stayed and meditated for a couple of hours. The sound of the breeze,crickets, birds and lightly flowing water sounded like a symphony being played just for me. I loved it. Rocks were engraved with things like: "Good Will" and "Good Human Relations". I really enjoyed it up there.

On a couple of occasions, I spent time at the pool where I met lots of great people including a couple who had adopted 2 sons from Ventura 5 and 6 years ago and were back for a visit. Ironically, the mom had just received a turtle pendant and when we got talking I was able to give her the gift of information about what "Turtle" represents in Native American culture. She was so touched as a mom and she was certainly a wonderful nurturer. We really bonded and exchanged information.


I also had a great conversation with someone from Sweden. We talked about the difference in our two cultures. He now lives in America but sees the importance we place on work and how much we work only taking a couple weeks a year to do the things we like to do.I asked him if it was true that Europeans get offended at the question: "What do you do?" because I had heard that a long time ago. He said wording it differenly would help like; "What kind of work do you do?" because if someone asks him what he "does" he would likely talk about the pleasurable activities in his life. Work isn't what he does, it is the means by which he can do the things he likes. "I am on an extended holiday and I work to keep it going". What a switch in perspective and I loved it! It sure keeps priorities straight.

The more I found out about Ventura, the more I loved. There were hidden treasures everywhere. I like the community and the people and the weather is amazing. Every day it was sunny,clear and a crisp 70-75. At night it goes down to 60. Perfect for sleep. I notice this is true on the coast of California (at least that is my experience). I was at a store where I mentioned the weather and 2 guys said,"Well, yah the last 2 days have been good". And I said "and what exactly was wrong with the days before that?". I couldn't imagine. They went on to say that a few days it was overcast until about 1pm. They admit they were spoiled and honestly I couldn't give them much credit once I found out they were Oakland Raider fans. Yikes!

One afternoon I met someone who told me about a walk up to a place called Grant Park. At the top there is an old wooden cross and a panoramic view of Ventura. I took the trek (and it was very steep) one afternoon. I almost gave up a couple of times especially when I saw the "Here's what to do if you see a Mountain lion"signs. But I trudged on and am so glad I did. It was gorgeous. I stayed and enjoyed the panoramic view of the entire city.


And last but not least the baby seal. I was walking along the beach one afternoon and stumbled upon a crowd. They were looking at this seal. I thought, "Oh, poor thing" and I must have moaned because someone said,"Don't worry, it's alive". Apparently the babies don't have enough body fat and get cold (the water here is COLD). So, they wash up on shore for a few days and soak up the sun then wash back into the water. Pretty ingenious. I love thinking about the instincts of animals. It always amazes me how intricate nature is and how perfectly designed, yet seemingly random. God is so great and I am way too limited to understand it all so I get to just believe things are as they are supposed to be and enjoy it!



So here I am in Santa Cruz. Last stop in California!More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment