Monday, September 21, 2009

Akron, Ohio


I've done lots of driving in the last few days. More than I've done in a short span of time on the trip. So after my brief but wonderful experience in Grand Rapids, Michigan, hearing Rob Bell, I took the drive to Akron and arrived at a Comfort Inn where I was able to spend a couple of days working alot before starting my vacation. Funny how the start of my vacation signals the end of this incredible journey! As I have said alot lately, the beginning of every new adventure always starts with the ending of another.

I had one purpose for going to Akron. I wanted to see the home of one of the co-founders of AA, Dr. Bob Smith. And I did just that. One afternoon I went out to see the house and when I pulled up it just looked exactly like I had imagined. I think I've actually seen pictures in books written about him,too. It felt so comforting and familiar. It definitely had a spirit around it. Even though it was closed that day I could easily to peak in and see where it all began, where he and Bill sat in the kitchen after a promise from Dr. Bob to his wife Anne, to get help. As I was walking up to the house a man walked across the lawn at the same time; Dan. Dan, ironically, is also from Massachusetts, Abington. Of all the places to meet someone else from Massachusetts. How perfect! I had a feeling he was from Mass. since he wore a T-shirt with a large black dog on it. Usually that means you've at least visited,eh? Dan, as it turns out, is a real history buff and talked alot about the history of AA and it was really fun to talk with him. We hung out on the porch swapping stories of our recovery and our lives. As I continued to talk with Dan, out of the blue he says:"Walk down the stairs; just walk down to the bottom". I had no idea what he wanted and I thought he wanted me to count the 12 stairs since I read on line that there were 12 steps to the door of his house which, of course, wasn't planned but interesting,no?
So I mention my piece of trivia, but he said, "No, just go to the bottom". I did and when I got to the bottom he says from the porch:"Now, Bill, don't screw this up....Keep it simple!" Those were the last words Dr. Bob said to Bill Wilson before he died in 1950.

As with all my brief and beautiful encounters, it was a pleasure spending time with Dan. We parted ways, I went to a great meeting and got ready for my next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment