Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Catskill, New York

I took the very long drive from Akron to Catskill New York and it turned into 9 and a 1/2 hours due to construction and lots of rain. My car looks cleaner, at least. I got here and was so happy to see this little backwoods motel. It had what I needed; simplicity and solitude.

By the time I get home it will be a little over 6 months on the road and over 17,000 miles of driving.
I can't believe this part of my "life song" is coming to an end and as I drove to Catskill, I couldn't help but reflect on the adventure I've had. I'm on vacation from work so this next couple of weeks is all about relaxing and transitioning back home.
More about those feelings, later!
Now, Catskill.

I picked Catskill because it was about halfway from Akron to Maine, Maine being my last stop before heading home. By the way, many of the towns in the surrounding area end with "kill". I thought it sounded like an unfortunate name for these lovely places so I asked about it. The owner of the Inn told me that "kill" used here is Dutch; a similar word to valley. So when a little town is nestled in the mountains as these were, they were named with "kill" at the end. Okay that made more sense.
Moving on...
I had no idea if there was anything to see and I was only staying for a day or so but once I got a good night sleep I was ready to check it out. I found out I was very close to Howe Caverns and I was only about 15 minutes from the town of Woodstock, where my friend Jim lived in the 70's. I hoped to see both.

I took the drive to Howe Cavern. It was a windy drive through the mountains and glimpses of fall were everywhere. It was sunny and crisp; beautiful. I was filled with so much gratitude. As I drove with the windows open taking in the fresh air, I found a radio station playing Gaither Family music. I loved it and had it full blast. I definitely have to go to their concert this year when and if my aunt goes. I just love them!


Howe Cavern is a cave about 160 feet below the earth's surface and Geologists believe that the cave started forming billions of years ago. The rock is mostly limestone. I took the tour with 3 retired couples one of whom had been there 50 years prior as a 4th grader on a field trip. She had since moved to Maryland and this was her first trip back to see it. Our tour guide, Rich was a geologist and very informative and funny. We had a great time. The rock formations were amazing. It all reminded me of melting candle wax. I loved it. There was even a little boat ride while we were down there;isn't it unbelievable that there's a lake 156 feet below the earth's surface? It's called Lake of Venus.
On my way out of Howe Cavern I saw "God Rays" shining over the mountains onto the farmland. Another kiss from the universe!I took the quiet ride back to the motel.




The next day I packed up and took a leisurely drive to Woodstock on my way out. It was an artsy town with lots of shops and galleries. I walked around, window shopped and met a potter, Phil, whose been there since 1967 and remembered my friend Jim. FUN!


All and all,it was a short trip and I was really looking forward to getting to Maine; my last destination before getting home. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment