Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ft. Collins, Colorado


So I took the drive to Colorado with no GPS or phone. I didn't realize how much I focused on time when AMOS is with me.He tells me what time I'm supposed to get somewhere so stopping at a gas station or for a meal becomes a game of "Beat the Clock". Without AMOS, as much as he's been a gift, I found myself stopping and resting more. I saw a sign for "Little Big Horn", Custer's Last Stand" and decided to take a look. I took my time, toured the area, stayed for a lecture and had a picnic. It was nice to just relax there and not think about the clock ticking. Of course denial is a beautiful thing. When I got to the last stretch and realized there were 330 more miles to go you can just imagine how I felt. The ride was filled with endless fields of wheat and a long and I mean l-o-n-g straight road. I guess this is why we don't know our future. If we could see "the road" in front of us, take it from me, we'd probably go crazy. All that being said there was also some real beauty; rolling hills that had a backdrop of much larger snow peaked mountains. It was breathtaking. There was also the ever present feeling of being alone on the open road; always exhilarating. Sometimes it feels like flying. And for those who don't know this about me, I LOVE country music. Out here there are more country stations than any other kind so when I tell you it's heaven, I'm not joking.I also saw lots of "God Rays", really bright orange and red rays punching through the clouds. They seemed to be trying to get my attention like God was saying "Let Me lead you". I knew there had to be some lesson in the fact that I had no technology. So there it was!
_________________________________________________
In the summer of 1974 I was about 9 years old. We had owned the cottage in Mattapoisett for a couple of years by then. We faithfully drove there every weekend. We lived across the street from the house we still affectionately call "The Little Red House". The MaGuires lived in that house and we became friends with them right away. That little red house holds big memories for me. It was the first place I tried Sushi before I knew it was called Sushi. I ate and came to love Octopus, soy sauce,seaweed, rice balls and there was an endless supply of garden cukes and tomatoes. It might as well have been candy, I loved it all!
It was the place where I learned to use chopsticks, count to 10 and sing a song in Japanese. It was where no one in the neighborhood was exempt from coming in after a day of play and being told to lay on our side.We then waited for the cold tickle of Hydrogen Peroxide to be poured into our ears for cleaning. AND... it was my first experience, babysitting. Paul and Linda were 4 and 5 and I was so excited when I was asked to watch them because Sachi wanted to go Quohogging. It was an early morning low tide and I babysat from 7-9am. I felt so grown up!
Fast forward 35 years where I now feign "grown up" and I got to visit Linda and her family in Fort Collins, Colorado. Alot happens in 35 years so we had a wonderful visit with some catching up and mostly just being together as who we are now. It was a complete gift for me.Having that much history with someone is so comforting and I slept as peacefully at her house as I did when I stayed at their house growing up. She has two beautiful kids and I loved getting to know them.I was also able to spend extra time with them while Linda and her husband Matt went out to celebrate his birthday with a couple of friends. It was so fun.
The kids are smart, funny, fun and full of compassion for their young ages. They were so adorable when I couldn't figure out how to use the CD player (you know when someone has lots of remotes and you just can't figure it out?). I finally got it but when I was having a hard time they crawled right up and patted me as if to say,"It's okay".Finally, we all snuggled together on the couch to watch Ice Age II and I couldn't have been happier.By the way,the hugs have been pretty sparse on this trip so I'll expect alot of them when I get home.

I've been to Colorado before so this time I wanted to see Linda and anything else I considered extra.
I did go to Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park.I packed a picnic lunch and started my drive. When I got to the foot of the mountain it had started to hail; big chunks of hail. It was so loud I thought my window would crack. I had to pull over to the side of the road until it stopped. It was there I had my picnic. When I finally got going the drive up was beautiful. I drove to the highest elevation I've been to on the trip; 12,200 feet. Yikes, I was a little dizzy but WOW was it phenomenal and I got out and walked around. It was cloudy so I don't think the pictures give the full expanse of the view I had(do they ever?). Then I saw this chipmunk and had to take a picture. The irony of this little creature against the limitless backdrop reminds me that there is nothing too great or too small. Everything works together perfectly! Who am I to say what is more significant than anything else. It all matters! Everything is exactly the right size.


I also spent some time in Denver, actually Lakewood, where I visited a customer. That gave me a chance to see them and a different part of Colorado.

My visit came to an end and I was sad to leave Linda and her family. I was so grateful to have had that time with them.



One more thing!! On my drive out of the National park I saw this street sign. I had to turn around and get a picture. The messages are always available. We just have to be paying attention!!!
May your journey always lead you to "Soul Shine Road"......

No comments:

Post a Comment