Monday, September 7, 2009

Rapid City,South Dakota

I left Colorado pretty early knowing the drive would be long. It was another drive through the grassland and those drives make me really tired. I went through alot of Wyoming again. The speed limit has been 75 in these open areas but changed to 65 in Wyoming. Do you know what it feels like to go 65 on open road? Well,I found out after getting a speeding ticket! UGH, I knew I was speeding so I couldn't even say I didn't know. As soon as the 2 cruisers pulled me over (because they both clocked me at separate times and I didn't even notice they were behind me) I started crying. I was so tired and when you spend hours with no human contact and suddenly you're confronted with two big, not overly friendly, state troopers; I don't know,the tears just started flowing. What could I say, I knew I was speeding. I got a warning for the lack of "proof of insurance card", which I had never heard of, and a ticket for speeding. I was disappointed but what are you going to do? Looking back, I wish I had asked them for a picture to include as part of my experience...probably wouldn't have gone over well but it would have made me laugh...So as a favorite country song goes "the troubles make me stronger,struggles make me wise...life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride". That's the truth. So the gift? Slow down and there's no rush no matter what the situation. Of course it's the gift that keeps on giving since I'm sure it will be on my insurance for years to come. Now... on to South Dakota.

I went to South Dakota for about 4 days and I had one item on my agenda. I've always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore. I found out it's in Rapid City so that's where I stayed and as with anywhere I've stayed there always more to see! I got up early the first morning and took the drive. I didn't know what else I'd do that day but I knew the drive included a ride through the Black Hills which I had heard were beautiful (and they were). Every mountain range and landscape has a uniqueness about it. There's a feeling at first of "well, how different can it be?" and it always is. Just today I journaled about that very thing; how easy it is to limit the power of God and His creativity all because of my own limits... That is one big thing this trip has continually reminded me; there are no limits unless I set them!!

After driving 20 miles, I went around a bend and "GASP" there it was, Mt. Rushmore. It caught me off guard. I wasn't thinking I'd just see it around the bend as part of the landscape! When I finally got to the park I was awestruck. Now, it isn't that I haven't seen it a hundred times in pictures but it's never the same in person. So many feelings rushed through me as I walked to the entrance. There were people from all over the world feverishly taking pictures. I got the same sensation at the National monuments in D.C.. Mt. Rushmore is so,America and I forget that people from all over the world come here feeling as much wonder and interest as we do.
Did you know that dynamite was used to sculpt Mt. Rushmore? What else could they have used, I suppose, but I just never thought about it. Each piece of dynamite strategically placed to sculpt every detail. WOW!
There was a trail/hike that allowed me to get even closer and I stood in the shadow of all that history.
As I walked the trail, I could here someone speaking over a microphone. There was an amphitheater outside and as I got closer I realized there was a small gathering of Native Americans and one man,who sounded like a spiritual leader,was speaking about acceptance and peace toward all man. He talked of forgiveness and honor. I couldn't help but think about what Mt. Rushmore meant to them and the loss of their land, their home.


After leaving Mt. Rushmore, I took a drive through Needles Highway which included a drive up a mountain with narrow bridges (the width of one car so you had to toot horn before entering)ending at the top where you can overlook the scenic Black Hills. It was beautiful and when I got to the top I parked and spent some time enjoying the view and reflecting on the day. I couldn't shake the feelings I had listening to the speaker at Mt. Rushmore.

I remembered, as I was sitting on the mountain, that Crowfeather (from New Mexico)had told me about a monument being sculpted in honor of Crazy Horse. Now, Crazy Horse, I learned from visiting Little Big Horn, was instrumental in bringing down Custer. He is considered a hero among the Native Americans; a warrior among warriors. He was a Lakota Indian (as is Crowfeather)and I felt like my visit wouldn't complete without also seeing that monument. I drove about 15 more miles and there it was. Korczak, who was commissioned by the Lakota elders to sculpt the monument, was from Boston."My fellow chiefs and I would like the white man to know the red man has great heroes, also" and that's how it began. He died in the 80's and 7 of his kids have continued his work, his dream. The monument is slow to be completed because they don't accept federal or state funding for the project; all donations. I stayed and spent some time at their museum and learned more about the Lakota's history. This is where I met Harry and Lula who designed their own jewelry and they had a write up for each piece. They had turtle designs and I learned the Lakota word for turtle; Keya (Kay*yah). It described turtle as the symbol of inner strength because Keya uses knowledge that only comes from deep within. I loved that!

The next afternoon I drove out to The Badlands. They were like nothing I've seen before!! I wished I had had a motorcycle or convertible. Like so many other places I've seen,I just wanted to be in it,part of it. I felt like I was on the moon! I couldn't get enough of these multicolored craters! The bands of colors come from volcanic ash that have dried and cooled over over the last 29 million years and formed jagged peaks and the canyons in this area. Badlands are well protected and there is an abundance of wildlife there,too. It is half maintained by the Lakota Indians who consider this protected area spiritual ground and that it is! It was spectacular and so peaceful.


Off to Iowa !!

No comments:

Post a Comment