Tuesday, March 24, 2009

About the Amish...



Another beautiful day! It was really cold and really sunny.Everywhere I went, people were so friendly...

As you can see I figured out how to take pictures and upload them. This is me right after I took a buggy ride through the Amish country. I met some of the Amish and it was fascinating to go on the ride and learn more about their history. The guy who took us was born Amish but made a decision to leave. He did it before being baptized (which is a decision they make as teens) so he wasn't shunned by the community. He can still visit and do business with them.
I learned more specifically about things like why they have no electricity.(Skip ahead if you know this)... and he said it comes from Mathew; the Bible verse where it says to live in the world but not of it and being connected to electricity connects them to the world and worldly things. It is funny how they work around it. For example,they're able to have cell phones because they power them with solar energy.
Needless to say I really enjoyed the day AND the landscape was so beautiful and serene. It is a very spiritual and obviously, religious, area. There are scripture verses everywhere (little reminders), on store buildings, people's lawns,and billboards,too.

ON another note: I had my own reminder this morning. I kept thinking I had to figure some things out before I went out to enjoy myself and those things never ended. I can get paralyzed trying to manage something before doing anything else. I decided to surrender and go out and wouldn't you know, some things got figured out by the act of me getting out.. So just a reminder that the answers come when I'm doing life.. I don't have to postpone life trying to "take care of everything" first. This trip is a great example of that. It's just like praying in the morning. If I think I don't have time, I just have to remember when I take the prayer time it usually reveals ways I can have more time... funny the way it all works. I also went to a GREAT meeting tonite and look forward to more along the way.

I find this GPS deal works great when trying to find things around a town and gives me that extra push to just go find a meeting.

QUOTES I saw today and wanted to share:


"Life is fragile, handle with prayer"

Every ending leads to a new beginning"

"Happiness is a decision"

"Thank you, God:
for what you have given to me
for what you have taken from me
and for what you have left to me."




Okay, so here's the thing.. The curmudgeon wasn't around to ask for an interview today, BUT, I got lost again and was turning around in a lot and it was a massage/reflexology business. I went in just to bond and they guy was great. He had just been to Delaware last weekend and gave me a route/restaurants and hotels. I decided I'd get a quick massage or treatment tomorrow morning before I leave and see if I can interview him.

It all works the way it is supposed to...Okay, I'll be in touch... OH!!! one last thing for those of you who know how much I care. When I was in the Amish area I went to one of their country stores and found 3 apples each weighing over 16.oz... SO how can you beat that!!!