Sunday, March 22, 2009

Westport, CT, March 22,2009

It is Sunday and I've been in Westport visiting a friend on my first leg of this journey. I got a late start yesterday, trying to figure out: "to bring or not to bring", torturing myself and my mom. I was reminded that I get to make up the rules because this is my trip and suddenly freed myself to bring not just what I needed but what I wanted.

I got to Westport at around 5pm. The GPS sure took the stress out of the ride! I was able to just feel the joy of finally starting something I've been planning for a long time. (Now,I just need to program my GPS to a voice a little more soothing). I have had lots of feelings already and as I write this I kind of wonder what it will feel like tomorrow. Considering I knew my first stop was to visit friends who would be welcoming and nurturing it feels different leaving tomorrow morning. I'll be arriving to places unknown with noone I know on the other end. It feels exciting, like the adventure I have looked forward to and a little scary.


Back to detail of Wesport:
When planning to visit my friend, we talked about going to a benefit concert but waited to see what the travel day looked like. As it turned out, I really wanted to go so we did. It was an amazing concert of local and not not-so-local celebs in the music business; a benefit for an organization called "Triple Gem Society" which was started by Bhante Wimala a Buddhist monk. He's received many awards including a global peace award for his humanitarian efforts and he was there! Fun, because before the concert he lead us in a guided meditation about being present and feeling free.. Yaay... The music was amazing;current hits with a mix of spiritual songs written by the woman who organized the benefit.

Needless to say, this morning we had a great breakfast and went to the beach. It was freezing but beautiful...You know how much I love the beach! We went for a walk and then they gave me a tour of Westport. We saw the homes of Imus, Martha Stewart (her old house), Paul Newman and Michael Bolton.

My hosts have been so gracious and generous. It has been a great way to start the trip. Right now I am looking up the routes and motel/hotels I'll be staying at starting tomorrow...Off to Amish Country and more to report from there!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment