Monday, April 27, 2009

Birmingham, AL



Birmingham,Alabama was a halfway point to my next destination and a place to stop and see 2 clients.

It was a pretty long drive to Birmingham. I've discovered, on this trip, that I really do love to drive. I arrived to Birmingham to find my hotel in a depressed neighborhood, sort of a truck stop which made for interesting hotel mates. I felt really tired and confused about how long I wanted to be there, when I arrived. I was looking for a store to buy food (which I didn't find because all buildings were boarded up) and as I drove I saw a sign at a church that said "God's timing is perfect". I immediately relaxed. I was supposed to be there and just another reminder to trust.

The second day I drove into downtown Birmingham. It seemed like a nice enough city. I didn't see much because I was going directly to the library.
I worked and met with a client there. And later that afternoon went to Bessemer, outside Birmingham to visit another client. It was great to have them show off their library and tell me about the different ways they utilize our software. What I really liked was putting faces with voices since I mostly talk to people over the phone.

One of my clients, after telling him about my travel, said "Wow, I've never met a 'you' before". I said, "I hope not". and he explained that he's done some traveling but hasn't known anyone doing what I am doing. Just another reminder about how grateful I am to be on this journey. It also feels like a reminder to continue to live "out loud".


The funny thing about Birmingham was that I had planned to leave Friday morning (4/24). I found out that in Nashville, my next destination, the equivalent of the Boston Marathon was happening over the weekend and I couldn't find a hotel. In turn, Birmingham was starting the Taledaga week (race cars)which is HUGE there. So my hotel rate went up about $50 for Friday night. I didn't know what to do. When I went to the hotel desk to ask about the total for my room he offered to let me keep the same rate if I wanted to stay another night. Yaay.. I stayed and got some rest, got organized and ready for the next trip. Inside, I knew I needed to just rest and get ready for the next leg of the journey but I was going to plunge ahead anyway. It is great to stop and listen to what I needed to do next.

I didn't see alot of Birmingham, but I was there for exactly what I needed to be there for.I am finding that whatever happens at each stop it is what is supposed to happen; I experience what I am supposed to and what I see and who I meet is exactly enough.

Off to Nashville and really looking forward to hearing some music!

No comments:

Post a Comment