Monday, April 13, 2009

WOW...what can I say about Easter?

What an amazing weekend! I was at a retreat center called the "Maher Baba Spiritualist Center". I didn't learn all of the beliefs but generally speaking, this Maher Baba, considered an Avatar(Christ-like figure or saint) by his followers, wanted to unite religions and believed in acceptance and love of all paths to God. Needless to say it was a very loving environment where I could be on my own or participate in the activities.

It was set on 400 acres of wooded land surrounding a lake. There was a screened in little boathouse on a dock where you could sit and read or nap. The azaleas were in full bloom, wisteria was hanging in the wild and Spanish moss was strewn all over the trees. The wildlife was abundant. All you could here were birds chirping,a breeze going by and the rustling of leaves.

The cabins (which were all private) were dispersed all over the property. We walked everywhere. It was so quiet and peaceful. It was a magical time; no cell phones, TV or Internet access, GLORIOUS!!

There were marked hiking trails all over. And from the stories I heard, there were even alligators and snakes available for a little excitement which, I found out, is why we had to carry flashlights at night and always wear covered shoes. There were even shovels on the hiking trails in case you had to kill a snake, Yeah right!! See Lori Run! I gratefully didn't see any.

On my first hike (which led me to the dunes and open beaches of Myrtle Beach) I did hear something moving and when I looked over there was a beautiful deer. On my way back from the beach that day, at dusk, there were a family of deer right in the path. I couldn't believe it.



Easter Sunday there was a sunrise "gathering" where people met at the lake for prayer and music!I thought of you who I knew were at a sunrise service and sent you lots of love, did you feel it?

I also met some lovely people there. It is amazing to me how, just when I need to be with family, a surrogate pops up and invites me into theirs.

I went for a walk along the beach my feet in the ocean. I crossed paths with a woman doing the same and she said: "It is sooo powerful isn't it?" and I said, "I think it's sooo comforting". We both agreed and kept walking. As I passed I started to cry realizing we had just described God.. Now, that is Easter!


I am now safely in Charleston, SC. It was a great ride and I look forward to telling you more about it when I see it...

No comments:

Post a Comment