Sunday, April 5, 2009

The thing about this journey....


...is that I never really know for sure what will actually unfold. I love that! I usually come to a new location with no real sense of what I should see or what I should avoid. I am always surprised and it's always an adventure! As much as I knew there was alot to see, I discover more and more everyday, how little I actually know. It gives me a beautiful sense of surrender. I can't possibly see it all and every state has something beautiful to offer so I can enjoy, appreciate and get excited about all that I am seeing.I was told by someone who has gone cross country that it is the things I don't expect that will give me the greatest joy. Just like everything I guess and I get to have my own experience of all of it.

I was so tired coming into Ashville I wasn't sure what I'd think so I waited until I was rested to look around... It is beautiful! It is a quaint town surrounded by mountains. The mountains just say,"look at me the beautiful and majestic mountains and remember it's all okay". Even as I walk toward the grocery store,I turn and there it is..the reminder. It is funny to then walk in and watch people push their carts hurriedly around the store. The mountains make the everyday seem like fantasy; fantasy clashes with reality.

I got up Sunday morning and it was a beautiful, sunny and heading toward 80 degrees day so I just started driving.

I had seen an add for the Biltmore Estate and had no idea what that was. I heard there was a "Festival of Flowers" starting so I thought I'd check it out. I drove toward the mountains and got to the entrance. Driving through this forest, which was really the grounds of the Vanderbilt Estate, I went by patches of bamboo,exotic trees/shrubs and flowers. The grounds were gorgeous, lush, and so many different shades of green. I got that cool fresh feeling. You know that smell when we were little...walking into the woods on the first warm Spring day. The ground is still wet so you get that combination of fresh kind of wet dirt,leaves and pine...MMMM...

People come from all over to see this estate... Well, I couldn't believe it when I got there. This place was a palace! For those of you who love facts; it is the largest house in America and the grounds equal the size of 140 central parks put together!
I spent the day roaming around the gardens where there were flowers and flowering trees everywhere. It all smelled so sweet.I took a hike through the forest and found a large pond with a waterfall. I sat there for a long time, met alot of really nice people and spent an inordinate amount of time studying exactly how a duck swims. It is fascinating, really... It was a "stop and smell the roses (or in this case, tulips)" kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment