Friday, April 17, 2009

Charleston, SC



I loved Charleston! I got here Monday and settled in. It rained the first couple days so I was able to get adjusted and work. My hotel was about 6 miles from downtown so it gave me a chance to see some other parts of Charleston.

On my first journey to town I decided to take a carriage tour; two donkeys pulling a carriage through historic Charleston! I love those tours. There is so much history and everyone said it was a good idea to get the overview and they were right. The houses and the architecture were beautiful. It was a gorgeous day which just added to the already beautiful landscape. The flowers are in full bloom and Charleston has the combination palm trees, large oak with the Spanish moss; really different. I spent the day walking through town and spent some time at Battery park which was a big green near the water where there was a view of Fort Sumter.

After the walk I went to the open market (flea market-which locals warned me not to call it when I was there). There was a photographer there and one of his photos caught my eye, a huge Oak tree. I asked him where I could find the tree and he said,"John's Island". So, I said to myself, "What else do you have to do?" I got to my car, typed "Angel Oak" into my GPS (which, by the way, I've named AMOS, for 'angel on my shoulder' and whose voice I changed to an Australian male reminding me of Fraser's brother Niles) and 20 minutes later I was standing in front of the largest Oak tree this side of the Mississippi. Well, the area closed at 5pm and it was 5:20. So I decided it would be worth it to me to go back the next day. I could see the tree but it was fenced in and I wanted more quality time. I went back and spent lots of time there. Those of you who know how much I love trees can appreciate why this was a great moment in SC for me.
It is said to be 1400 years old but I guess that's a legend and they aren't sure but it is at least 4-500 years old. I couldn't believe it! It is very different from seeing the Sequoias in California which command a certain reverence. This tree had a different energy. It had tons of personality,so inviting. It had lots of character and I felt kind of giddy hanging around with it.It was spectacular! I don't know if you can see the hugeness from the picture but I tried. ( I find pictures don't do my feelings justice ).

While I was there I met a lovely woman from the area who told me of a place called Isle of Palm. It was an island with a large beach community. It seems wherever I go I am drawn to water and when I asked how long it would take to get there, she said "What are you doing now?" and I thought, "Oh yeah, I can do this". So I went. There were houses set along the open ocean. Palm trees lined both sides of the street and the homes were immense. I got there around 5pm and decided to take a long walk on the beach and watch the sunset. By dusk most people had left the beach and it was so peaceful.

As I crossed the bridge back to Charleston I felt completely embraced by the colors painted across the sky; bright pink/orange/ purple and blue. It didn't seem real to me. I was floating. I don't remember ever feeling as full or as calm as I did in that moment.

Because I stayed at the beach that day and was leaving the next, I decided the one last thing I had wanted to do, visit a plantation, I'd do on the way to Savannah. I went to the Magnolia Plantation. It is known for its gardens and is the only plantation where the original owners, 11th generation, still reside. They had unusual grounds including a swamp garden and a horticultural maze. The grounds of the house had a beautifully manicured garden,too. After spending some time walking the plantation, I sat down and had a little picnic for myself. While I was eating I looked over and one of the Peacocks spread his feathers for me. My visit was complete.

I feel more and more freedom to let myself get lost and let whatever comes next, unfold. I plan, but leave room for opportunities. Just trust my intuition, that whispering voice saying, "go here... trust me..so maybe it isn't familiar and maybe it's off the beaten path, but it'll be worth it". I follow and something happens leading me to the next step on my journey. I can't really know what is going to happen, anyway, but I can stay open to the possibilities and trust they are all part of the process.

I am now safely in Savannah and look forward to seeing more...until then..

No comments:

Post a Comment