Friday, April 24, 2009

Savannah, GA

I always wanted to go to Savannah. I don't even know why, maybe the book, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", maybe because of the trees I've seen. I don't know. I am so glad I listened to my instincts about going. It was worth it for lots of reasons. As I've said, this journey is so much more than the things I get to see while I enter a new area. I love that while I may be expecting to see certain things,it is the unexpected adventures and the people I meet even while doing those "everyday" things like grocery shopping or going to the Laundromat that make the adventure colorful.

It was an easy 2 hour drive from Charleston. I took a coastal route and went through some more S.C. towns along the way. It was 80 degrees, I had the windows down and listened to a radio station that played alot of "blues-ee" music;lots of harmonica. It was a great soundtrack for the scenery...

As I said, I was looking forward to Savannah. Not only for the place itself but I was meeting my friend Liz from Massachusetts. She has family in Savannah and it worked out that she was able to fly down and meet me. A plan worked out to stay with two of her friends (now my friends,too), Mark and Elissa. It felt good to arrive somewhere new and see a familiar face.
I drove through the center of Savannah to get to their house. Just driving through I could see it had a uniqueness about it.

Mark and Elissa live on Tybee Island about 7 miles outside Savannah and a few miles from a beautiful beach on the other side. As I drove in, I realized I like being part of the everyday-ness in the neighborhood of an unfamiliar place. Each has its own layout and feel. The houses are designed to fit the structure and climate of the area. I like to investigate the shrubs/foliage planted in the area and see how it differs from what I am used to, and it does. Each place I've been has it's own beauty. Of course, in Savannah, those Big Oak trees with the Spanish moss were highlighted everywhere.

Well, I met Mark and Elissa who were SO great. They opened their home to me and were so gracious and generous.

Shortly after I got there we went out to eat at a place where Liz knew the owners and they served a pot roast dinner with lots of roasted veggies. Good ole home cooking!! Yaay, I really appreciated that after eating in hotels for 2 weeks; a great meeting for me after that.
Elissa told us she was walking in a Road Race for Breast Cancer the next morning so we registered,too. It was a fun way to do service and walk through the streets of Savannah. Funny thing...the next day someone called and asked if they could use a photo of the 3 of us for "Savannah Magazine". Fun!!!! And they will get me a copy when it comes out.

As luck would have it, Mark is a trolley tour guide in Savannah so after the road race we went out to breakfast and then off to tour historic Savannah. It was great. Mark has one of those great radio voices and he really made it fun with lots of interesting tid bits. I think I mentioned it before, but it really helps me to take a tour and see what is where so I can see where I want to spend more time. I got to see where Forest Gump was filmed, where the guy who the "...Garden of Good and Evil" was written about lived and, by the way, Savannah is the home of Johnny Mercer who wrote "Moon River" my all-time favorite song. I was pretty excited to know that. I learned so many more things, too many to mention.

Savannah has a unique layout. There are 24 (well now 21) squares; a little public green (like a little park)appears every couple of blocks. The greenery mixed with the beautiful architecture was a sight. It felt so welcoming and alive.

I also didn't realize that Savannah is on the water, but it is on the inner-coastal water way and there's lots of boating activity and a large span of shops and restaurants overlooking "River St". It's really beautiful.

We went to a beach on Tybee Island and I also went on a Dolphin cruise. That was amazing. I have to say, those dolphin really blew my mind. The thing is, I got so stressed trying to get a picture of a dolphin, I was not enjoying the cruise. I hopped from one side of the boat to the other trying to get a shot. Now I remember why I didn't have a camera. I finally let it go and had fun. A woman on the boat got a great picture of three dolphin jumping out of the water together. She said she'd send it to me. If she does I'll change this picture, but for now, my attempt at it is posted.

Liz and I also went for some great long walks and talks and just hung out (ooh and I saw a snake). I even had someone to watch American Idol with, go Adam. I got to do an interview,too.

Needless to say, it was a great few days. I was very emotional about leaving. One of the reasons was that I was leaving the coast. I LOVE the ocean and it was very sad to think about leaving. But, alas, time for the next adventure...

I was so happy to make new friends in Elissa and Mark and will hopefully see them or spend time with them and Burt their boxer,again. And,of course, it was great to spend time with Liz.

So here I am,in central time, feeling the distance from home. After a 7 hour drive, I am in Birmingham Alabama and more continues to be revealed...

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked Savannah. Put that one on your "return later" list. Did you check out the library?

    ReplyDelete